I hate when I hear “experts” telling people to “eat these foods, they will make you lose weight,” because honestly, and I know you know this, there isn’t a secret food that will make you burn fat and lose weight on its own. BUT, there is a series of foods that work in their own way (along with a SLIGHT calorie deficit) to help you fight fat, get healthy, and prevent chronic disease. I wanted to compile my fav ones and tell you why they will aid in the fat loss process.
- Locally Grown or Organic Chicken/Grass-fed beef: These two foods help fight fat because they make you feel full for a longer period of time (helping to curb your urge to munch) compared to any other macro-nutrient. They both contains all essential amino acids which is what makes up our muscles and we need to help keep us energized and our muscles sculpted! Aim to get 4-6 oz of protein at your main meals!
- Brain octane oil: This oil is 100% caprylic acid, which is one of the fatty acids found in coconut oil. It gives your brain the essential fatty acids it needs to stay running at it’s optimal rate which is important when trying to lose weight. It helps energy, metabolism, cognitive processing and fatigue. Start with 1 tsp in coffee, tea, salad dressing or a smoothie, and work your way up to a tbsp per day. You can find it here. It is the second item on the list!
- Grapefruit: Enzymes found in it can help your body break down sugar, helping to boost your metabolism, which means we can burn more calories on the daily! Try adding a slice of grapefruit to boost your breakfast or squeezing a little fresh juice into a glass of water. Bonus: Even just sniffing grapefruit essential oil from Doterra (because it’s the purest brand) can help increase your metabolism. Dab it on your wrists or diffuse into the air to curb your food cravings too!
- Leafy greens like kale, spinach, collard greens and Swiss chard are chock-full of nutrients and iron. They help keep muscles functioning properly and burning calories long after a workout. They’re packed with vitamin K, which keeps bones strong and helps ward off osteoporosis,
- Apple Cider Vinegar: So…this isn’t something you do and magically lose fat, which I hear so many “claims about.” However, it does help to make you feel full prior to a meal, and it helps to balance out the PH in your gut. I like to add a scoop of L-Glutamine into it with a tbsp of water. The L-glutamine helps build the walls of your gut so toxins can’t get in as easily! Take a tbsp (get one that has the “mother” in it) of ACV and a scoop of L-glutamine in water prior to a meal! Cheers!
- Bone broth: this isn’t a myth! This stuff can really aid the fat burning process and heal your body. Because it contains amino acids, it helps prevent muscle breakdown, increases your metabolism and helps detoxify your body.
- Matcha Green Tea: drinking this regularly can aid in reducing body fat and lowering cholesterol. It is 10X more potent than plain green tea when it comes to aiding your fat loss efforts. The catechins present in it helps to boost your metabolism. It is loaded with antioxidants that help inflammation and stress, in turn helping to reduce cortisol levels. (I need this) Starbucks makes an unsweetened matcha latte with coconut milk, love it!
- Kefir: is a fermented drink similar to yogurt, so it is an easy switch a few times per week. It’s packed with probiotics, the good bacteria that keeps your gut functioning well, which is great because your gut controls almost everything! The Lactobacillus gasseri found in probiotics are good news if you’re trying to lose weight. If you don’t do diary, opt for the unsweetened cashew kefir!
- My favorite of them all (I know it’ll be yours too) is Dark Chocolate!!! Alright so for some of us, eating small portions can be tricky, and if it is a trigger for you, then try to avoid it majority of the time. BUT the flavonoids in it WILL help reduce inflammation, improve cognitive function, keep you satisfied, prevent spikes in blood-sugar levels, helping you to prevent overeating. Look for 70% or higher and keep it to one ounce or less per day.
- Spicy Foods! Spices that warm your body, in particular, cayenne, turmeric, cinnamon, and dandelion do more than just make you feel the heat! These foods can suppress hunger levels, normalize blood sugar levels, (which we know if blood sugar is constantly spiked that can cause weight gain) and reduce your cravings for sweets. I add cinnamon to my morning coffee for a quick boost!
Of course there are many other foods that help to fight fat, prevent disease and make you feel awesome, but these are some of my favorites!!!
If you think anyone you know would want to hear about these foods, please share it with them!